Re: "relay denied"

by "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed(at)jaedworks.com>

 Date:  Sun, 6 Aug 2000 17:38:21 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:36 AM -0700 8/6/2000, Rob Atkinson wrote:
>No, I haven't misunderstood anything. Being as you have SMTP
>services with your Hoster and if they are different than your
>ISP, try sending a msg. to yourself through your ISP.
>
>If you can replace the Email address of an ISP with any Email
>address you choose, then the ISP allows for "Relaying" of Email
>messages--which is a Spammer's delight.

No. An open relay is a mail server that accepts email that both originates
from a machine not on the mailserver's own network block, and is destined
for a machine not local to the mailserver. In other words, a relay accepts
mail that's "in transit" and neither of whose endpoints is the
mailerserver's own ISP.

What email address you put into your mail has nothing whatever to do with this.

>Unless an ISP allows for "Relaying" you will have to include the
>Email address of the ISP in the Email.

No. Try it yourself. (Or look at the headers of this very message, and you
will find that it's being sent from teleport.com, despite the fact that
jaedworks.com is not hosted there but on pair.com. If Pair's server allowed
me to send email through it, *that* would be an open relay, since my
computer isn't connected locally to Pair's net.)

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed(at)jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com